Companies at Risk, Fail to Prepare for Disaster Recovery

Recently I had the unique opportunity to work with several colleague from businesses government and academia to form a council to gain a better understanding of Disaster Recovery best practices and make preparedness more cost-effective and efficient. Our goal was to help people and companies to understand critical DR challenges, increase DR preparedness awareness, and improve DR practices.

In order to achieve thee goals, we created an online Disaster Recovery Preparedness Benchmark (DRPB) Survey created by the council and launched just over a month ago. This survey is designed to give business continuity, disaster recovery, compliance audit and risk management professionals a measure of their own preparedness in recovering critical IT systems running in virtual environments.

Initial results from the Disaster Recovery Preparedness online benchmark survey so far show the dismal state of DR preparedness of companies worldwide. Using a common grading system from A (the best) to F (the worst), 72% of survey participants or nearly 3 out of 4 companies worldwide, are failing in terms of disaster readiness scoring ratings of either a D or F grade. Only 28% scored an A, B or C passing grade, with the remaining 72% of respondents at risk. This report presents initial DR Preparedness benchmark trends for a mix of companies large and small that have taken the survey so far.

Several results amazed us:

  • 36% lost critical apps, VMs, critical data -files for hours; 11% of the companies lost these for days.
  • 60% of those who took the survey do not a have a fully documented DR plan. Of those that had DR plans, 40% said their DR plan did not prove useful in their worst DR event.
  • 50% of respondents test DR plans only once or twice a year.
  • 13% never test their DR Plans.

Only one in four of those who fail their own DR tests, actually re-test as follow up – That is not acceptable and shows that companies really are not prepared to recover from an outage or disaster

Maybe part of the reason is that 61% do not have the skill sets to effectively perform DR tests and 37% claim they don’t have the time.

We look forward to updating these results and presenting more practical solutions to improve DR preparedness.

Steve Kahan, DR Preparedness Council Chairman

Posted in Blog

Leave a Reply